Wednesday, August 29, 2012

La Tomatina!

8/29   Today was the day. It had finally arrived. The day I had been nervously looking forward to slash dreading for a few weeks. Today was the day of the internationally famous Spanish festival known as… “LA TOMATINA!” Now, in case you never took Spanish in middle-school and don’t realize the gravity of this phrase, I’ll fill you in on what it is and how it all goes down:

Crowded Plaza of Bunol
La Tomatina is a festival held in the Valencian town of Buñol, a 30 minute drive away from the city. Participants gather to throw tomatoes at each other, and get involved in a huge food fight purely for the fun of it. Roughly 50,000 people attended  in 2011, and it is the largest recorded food fight in the world. Held on the last Wednesday of August each year, the activities commence around 10am. Now, here is a rundown of the day’s schedule- First is the ‘palo jabón’, or “greasy pole”. The goal is for people (usually drunk young guys) to climb and the reach the top of a greased pole with a large ham on top. As this happens, the crowd works into a frenzy of singing and dancing while being showered in water from the hoses of residents with balconies. Once that lucky someone is able to drop the ham off the pole, the “start signal” for the day is given by firing a shot in the air, and trucks loaded down with tomatoes make their entry. The signal for the onset of the “fight” is at about 11am when a loud shot rings out, and the chaos begins. Several trucks throw tomatoes in abundance in the Plaza del Pueblo. The tomatoes come from the region of Extremadura, where they are less expensive and are grown specifically for the holiday, being of inferior taste. For the participants the use of goggles is recommended (tomato juice in the eyes? ouch!). According to the “official rules” the tomatoes must be crushed before being thrown so as to reduce the risk of injury. The estimated number of tomatoes used is around 150,000, and after exactly one hour of insanity, the fight ends with the second shot. The whole town square is colored red and rivers of tomato juice flow freely. Fire trucks hose down the streets and participants use hoses that locals provide to remove the tomato paste from their bodies. Some participants go to the pool of “los peñones” to wash as well. After the cleaning, the village cobblestone streets are made pristine by the residents, due to the acidity of the tomatoes.

As you can see, it might sound super fun, but I’d heard about its drawbacks from experienced friends. Luckily, I prepared myself for these by wielding goggles, and wearing close toed shoes with clothing that could be thrown in the trash after. Being that I am a tidy and non-aggressive person, the only things convincing me that I should partake in this this were that #1 I’m near the city at the right time of year (destiny) and #2 YOLO (you only live once) so I might as well do it, and #3 “It’s all about the story”- This quote applies to many things in my life that I don’t want to do but end up doing, because it makes for a good story!

So, for my Tomatina experience, I had made plans to ride to the pueblo of Buñol with Whitney in her boyfriend Raúl’s car. They picked me up from my piso early that morning, and we made the drive to the small industrial town. With its narrow cobblestone streets and unassuming location, it was surprising that such a small place was able to hold so many extra people for the fight (over half of which are foreign tourists- primarily Australian and Japanese). Miraculously, Raúl found us a parking spot and we headed into the depths of the town. People were selling food, t-shirts, goggles, and plenty of alcohol to commemorate and prepare for the event, and it was definitely fun to people-watch. Many participants even had “teams” with matching shirts, how cute! Also, it is an unofficial rule to wear white as well, so that you can see how far from white your shirt will be at the end. While walking around in the hot morning sun and taking this all in, I noticed that my camera did not have its memory card in it. Huge error! I was the designated camera person of the day, equipped with a plastic bag and waterproof carrying case from Raúl.  I felt so bad upon realizing this, but before I knew what to do Raúl had already offered to run back to the car and get Whitney’s camera. I felt terrible about that, but while he was gone Whitney and I discussed how sweet of a guy he was for doing that. We also watched several drunk people make fools of themselves :)


As it was now close to the time for the fight to start, we decided to make our way over to the main square. The city is much more compact than I realized, and somehow we found ourselves trapped in a crowded alleyway full of sweaty, drunk people. I felt really claustrophobic at that moment, and to make it worse the locals of Buñol who have balconies just hang out and pour buckets of water on us poor people below. Somehow, we finally managed to escape this torture alley, and that ,was when I was separated from the group. Raúl and Whitney somehow made it into the “thick of things” and I stayed more near the outskirts so I could try to take some photos without ruining my camera. As I have been told though, there is really no “going to the Tomatina just to watch” option. I learned this the hard way.

Raul and Myself : Post Tomatina
In sum, it is a crazy alcohol fueled event but something that everyone who has the chance to do should do- if only for the heck of it. Whitney and Raúl may have been a little bruised up from the obnoxious people who didn’t squish their tomatoes before throwing, but overall we had a lot of fun. We finished up the day by rinsing off in a nearby creek. Because of the messiness and abundant buckets of water everywhere, I was only able to take 1 photo during the actual event. But don’t worry- the internet has plenty more to fill your curiosity.  Upon reaching the car, clothes that would forever reek of tomato juices were thrown into a dumpster, and we pulled out of the lot ready to leave. Suddenly, Whitney realized that when she had thrown away her pants, she had accidentally thrown my money she'd been holding onto along with it! Before we could decide what to do, poor Raúl had turned the car around and against our protests, went dumpster-diving to find the pants and my money. His valiant act was not unappreciated! See, chivalry does still exist! With my money safely returned to me we headed back to Valencia- Mission accomplished!

No comments:

Post a Comment