Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Hosting a Couchsurfer!

10/1- Finally my precious roomie Bárbara was back from her trip to Santander (North of Spain), and back to hang out with me! We went and got breakfast together at the little place by our piso and caught up. I love Spanish breakfast- it’s late enough in the morning that I’m actually functioning, but I don’t have to eat boring old cereal. Instead I get pan tostada con tomate and some zumo de piña… yum!! She had to head off to work at the ISA office, and so I spent my free time cleaning our apartment from top to bottom, and rewarding myself with a siesta. That evening, the two of us ladies went out to the usual restaurant Sal y Pimienta (Salt and Pepper) for some tapas. She knows how picky I am about Spanish food, and so she obliges me by letting me pick what we get. This usually involves (of course) my beloved patatas bravas, some pan tomate, and possibly some ensaladilla rusa. Even though she wasn’t out of town for that long, I was very glad to have her back! On 10/2 I continued the mass cleaning of our little piso, and that afternoon my friend Rachel called and invited me to hang out with her near her apartment in the Valencian neighborhood of Russafa. I took the 20 minute bus ride across the river towards where she lives. I had never been there before so I was proud of myself for making it there successfully. After I met her two adorable cats, we walked around the cute artsy streets of the area. We grabbed some mini-sandwiches and cerveza at one place, and then finished up at another place where we shared more cerveza and bravas. We had some good, genuine girl talk. I definitely admire Rachel for picking up and leaving her life in Wisconsin and creating such a great “new life” here in Spain. Her confidence is definitely something I admire!
Me and my French couchsurfer Olivia!

Although we were having a grand old time, I had to cut things short because Bárbara and I were hosting our first ever “couch surfer” that night back at our piso. I had plans to meet this girl named Olivia for the first time, and get dinner with her. Now… for those of you who don’t know what Couchsurfing is, here is my brief explanation of this amazing new trend in travel: People create an account on the www.couchsurfing.org website, and receive a “location verification” that serves as a background check. You can read people's references and see photos of them if you are worried that they are sketchy or anything- but the theory with this website is you just have to let go and trust people. Basically, you can offer your “couch” to travelers visiting your location. They send you a “couch request” noting when they will be there, and if you are available, you can let them stay at your place. They stay with you for free, and you (the host) get to learn firsthand about their unique country and culture. Every situation is different, but typically you end up going out and becoming good friends with them, and if you ever “surf” in their location one day, they’ll be willing to host you. It’s a good way to meet locals and have authentic travel experiences. I had heard of this idea before, but hadn’t actually done it yet. I created my account about a month ago, and now I was going to finally host my first couchsurfer. Olivia is a 20 year old student from a small town north of Paris, France. She was on a 2 week journey throughout Spain, and she was going to couchsurf the whole way. I definitely admire her boldness and sense of adventure in doing so- not just everyone has the guts to do that alone! She met up with me at my piso, and to get to know her and talk about the city a bit, the two of us went for some tapas at Sal y Pimienta. We really hit it off right away- She speaks perfect English, and is of course fluent in French, and I was pleasantly surprised to hear how great her Spanish was too! All these multi-lingual Europeans, making us Americans look bad ;) So, that night, she stayed on our comfy couch, and had her first evening in the beautiful Valencia!
Horchata and Fartones- the traditional side dish!
Gargoyle at Lonja de La Seda
Optical Illusion at Lonja de la Seda
On 10/3, I spend the whole day with Olivia, showing her around the city and acting as an unofficial tour guide. Of course, I loved this- and I was happy to see that she actually was appreciated the fact that I knew all these nerdy historical tidbits. I love talking about the main sites of the city and its history, and having a friend to walk around, take photos, and admire it all with was a plus! We started that morning out in the city center at the Plaza de La Reina, and I began my “usual” tour of the city (the same one I gave John, for example). She climbed the Cathedral steps, we had some horchata together, and we explored the Torres de Serranos. We headed over towards the Mercado Central area together, and after doing some vegetable shopping we had lunch together at a place right outside, where we also shared a pitcher of sangria. She is very outgoing and was making conversation with all the vendors and waiters, definitely added entertainment to the day! After lunch I showed her the 15th century Lonja de La Seda medieval silk market building. Olivia wanted to pay the 3 euros to go in, and while I had been there dozens of times I had never actually been inside, so I decided to join her. In addition to being able to see the crazy obscenely-posed gargoyles around the whole complex, we got to explore the gardens and go up inside a few of the old rooms, complete with period furniture. It honestly wasn’t that exciting, but it was cheap and it was something new to see. Plus the floor in one of the rooms had some very confusing tile work that made for fun optical illusion photos. After that, I got us a bit lost- but it ended up being a good thing. We wandered the old city wall perimeters and I finally saw the Torres de Quart that I had not seen yet. These towers are unique because they have French bullet and artillery holes in them from during the Napoleon era. So, once our long day of walking around the city wrapped up, we returned to the piso with tired feet. Olivia is a really good dancer, and so I helped her pick out one of my dresses to wear and she headed over to El Caribe (a nearby discoteca) to join in on some group salsa. I used to do the dance classes there once a week when I was studying abroad, but those days are over for me- I preferred to just relax :)
Torres de Quart- Riddled with Bullet Holes

No comments:

Post a Comment