Sunday, October 7, 2012

Bonaire, Cánovas, and "Dares"


Outlet Malls at Bonaire
10/6- Bárbara and I slept in ridiculously late, and then we finally got ourselves together and took the metro about 15 minutes to a very special bus stop- this was the legendary bus stop that would take us directly to the epic Valencian outlet malls of Bonaire! We waited for a while before the bus showed up, and then it took another 40 minutes to get to the place. The bus was packed so we had to stand the whole time, and we talked about how older Spanish ladies (not the men) are for some reason always super rude, and love cutting you off and jumping lines, etc. It made us pretty angry. Then finally- we arrived! This mall complex was so “American”: I felt like I was in Ohio. It did not feel like Spain at all, which was strange. After a quick Starbucks run (all the signs at Bonaire are written in the valenciano language for some reason by the way) we hit up some of the main popular places: H&M, Zara, Pull & Bear, Mango, etc. Then, we went to a very cheap outlet store (forget the name) where I got a black blazer, some brown oxford shoes, and a little sponge thing to put my hair up in a donut bun. This store was so packed that it was stressing us out. The security guard yelled at me for trying to bring a drink in, and by the time we left I was happy to be out. The last stop we made was at “Lefties”- This place was much calmer. I got a cheetah pattern top, and the best t-shirt in the world. Why is it the best? Well, it has a hilarious “mis-translation”, which basically means that the designer tried to make it say something catchy in English but it came out wrong, and thus was hilarious to me. It has a little bunny saying “why can I go shopping?”- not too bad, but it made me chuckle. A lot. I think it was supposed to say “when” or “why can’t I”, but we’ll never know. (To visit the website: http://www.bonaire.es/W/do/centre/tiendas)

What does it mean?!
After that we fought the huge crowd of about 60 people waiting at the one bus stop to take us back to Valencia. The old ladies were fierce! We once again ended up standing, and just barely fit onto the last bus. We stood up front by the driver, and it was not very comfortable. In addition to all the territorial shoppers, a drunk guy and some kid later got on the bus. Some of the people who live out in the pueblos apparently use that bus as a daily means of transportation, and I really do feel sorry for them. This man reeked of alcohol, and he kept dropping things and making incoherent comments to Bárbara and I. Let’s just say, that was one of the slowest bus rides ever.

Barb + Marissa = Trouble
Finally, we were back in the city, and after rapidly changing clothes we hopped on a bus, hopped back off, and then speed-walked to the restaurant Tony Roma’s, where we were meeting Marissa for dinner at 10pm. I love my patatas bravas, but a nice juicy American style burger and an iced diet coke really hits the spot. We ladies had a great time as always- and once again we got some coupons from people walking around advertising their bars.  Once we were finished, we headed over about a block to one of the bars we had received free drink coupons for. This area of bars and discotecas is called Cánovas, and everything is close together and cheaper than other places, so I love it! All was going well, and we had our drinks and sat down in this chill couch area to chat and take photos (of course). Then, our girl time was interrupted by these three awkward foreign dudes. They were from all over the globe, literally. I think Japan, Korea, Bolivia, and Senegal? Talking to them in broken Spanish and trying to understand with the loud music was a bit difficult. Then, one of the guys asked Marissa if she wanted to dance- she of course said “no I’m married”, and then Bárbara chimed in “but I bet our friend Michelle over there wants to!”- Thanks ladies. I just love awkward moments like that…

Barbara, Me and the new cheetah shirt
Shortly after, we were saved from our predicament by the arrival of our friends Christie and Carlos (They are the couple I mentioned earlier- Christie is American and they just recently got engaged). We went off to a corner and talked slash semi-danced. It was then that we decided to make the night a bit more interesting. Bárbara decided we should assign “tasks” or “dares” to each other that had to be completed before the end of the night. It turned out to be a great idea, and definitely made for a memorable evening. While I don’t remember what they all were, some of them were: 1) me drinking an extremely alcoholic shot of a locally famous drink (I forget the name)- and ending up getting two more for free 2) Marissa dancing by herself in the corner of a bar for two minutes solid 3) Carlos getting a guy’s number and 4)Christie taking a photo with at least 5 guys she doesn’t know. We bar hopped through several tiny little bars in Cánovas and ended up at the much larger Las Animas- an  awesome nightclub with a great dance floor in the downtown area. We all danced up a storm, and I loved it! Spanish music is definitely my favorite! Plus being friends with Marissa, one of the only blondes around, usually leads to us all getting free drinks by association. Can't complain! Once it’s discovered you’re your American you usually end up getting free shots from sketchy men too. But hey, it’s free! Around 5am we were all standing outside waiting on a cab. Marissa was lecturing some guy about how “Fumar… Mata!” (Smoking Kills), and after a few more hilarious conversations the crazy discoteca evening came to an end. The next day 10/7 could be called a “Resaca” day- I’ll let you figure out what that means for yourself. We slept in late, hung out, watched reruns of Betty La Fea, were lazy, and I cooked some bravas- a delicious way to end a fun weekend.
Christie completing one of her "dares"
The Ladies- Christie, Marissa, Barbara and Me

No comments:

Post a Comment